Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Idea For a New Book

"On The Motion Of The Heart And Blood In Animals"


Lately, I’ve been thinking… I’m almost done with my studies and I think I want to write a novel about it to document it all and show everyone the secret behind the oh-so mysterious heart. I hope it will give a clear and connected summary of the action of the heart and the resulting movement of the blood around the body. I’m going to include a detailed analysis of the overall structure of the heart (from what I saw in cold-blooded animals). The arteries are  important in the summary of how the heart works. They’re able to show how their pulsation depends upon the shrinking of the left ventricle, while the right ventricle powers its charge of blood into the pulmonary artery. The two ventricles move together almost simultaneously and not independently like other people think they do. I’d record separately about each of the animals I have dissected. I observed the heart of animals such as eel, fish, snails, invisible shrimp, chicks before its hatching and even pigeons. When I used the inactive heart of a dead pigeon and wet it with saliva, I was able to witness a brief pulsation. I was able to see and conclude that the heart has an ability to recover from fatigue. This is a big deal!! I recognized the existence of the Ductus Arteriosus and was able to explain its relative function. "In embryos, consequently, whilst the lungs are yet in a state of inaction, performing no function, subject to no motion any more than if they had not been present, nature uses the two ventricles of the heart as if they formed but one, for the transmission of the blood.” (Chapter 6)The most detailed part of my book will definitely be  the actual quantity of blood passing through the heart from the veins to the arteries. Unlike what Galen believed, (the liver as the origin of venous blood), I was able to estimate the size of the heart, how much blood is pumped through each pump, and the amount of times the heart beats in a half an hour. All of these estimates are low, so people can see the vast amount of blood Galen's theory needed the liver to produce. I think this novel will be a great hit and will change the minds of everyone and what they thought of the heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment